About Ivan Boothe & Rootwork.org
I'm into frontend engineering (especially back-of-the-frontend), creative social protest and radical nonviolent praxis. These things go together more than you think.
Holy 🦎s and 🦄s, it’s Ivan Boothe
US-Pacific ☙ Tsinuk (Multnomah) & Cowlitz lands ☙ Portland, OR
- Premail, an easy-to-use component-based build system for MJML, the email templating language, with Handlebars templating, Sass styles, and extra options.
- GET: Gulp, ES6, Tailwind, a kickstart template for modern TailwindCSS development.
- Hugo Module Site, an example of how to use Hugo Modules in your Hugo site.
- rootwork/bash-scripts, helpful tools for image management, video manipulation, and image/video conversion.
- Responsive Tables Builder, a tool for creating mobile-first, accessible, responsive HTML data tables from data files, with CSS and without JS.
- Radical Icons, reusable SVG and PNG images for activist art and organizing.
- I’ve also been active in Drupal (especially nonprofit and community-oriented Drupal) since 2005. Find me at drupal.org.
Ask me about
- Drupal (4.5 to 9)
- nptech (nonprofit/NGO tech)
- accessibility (a11y) and universal design (also sometimes called inclusive design)
- MJML and email coding generally
- Sass and modern CSS
- Gulp 4
- Back of the frontend Nodejs
Coding is just a small part of who I am
Technology is a means to an end, and shiny tech is not always the best means.
I’ve worked as a human rights advocate, a community organizer, and a nonprofit communications manager. I’ve been on the board of a justice studies association, helped nominate people for the Nobel Peace Prize, wrote about third-party nonviolent intervention and used electronic civil disobedience to fight insecure voting systems.
Really all my technological expertise and interest stems from those larger objectives for social change.